From time to time, you would have seen people asking this question in the comment section of different games. Well, I am here to tell you how it is possible. Before getting into that let us first know what Vram really is and why it matters for PC gamers.
What Is VRAM?
VRAM stands for Video Random Access Memory, which stores the information related to 3D images that are present on your screen while gaming or during any graphic intensive work on your computer. It is a type of memory chip used by GPU (aka graphics card) to store data; hence having more vram means you can store more data at once making the game smoother by releasing system memory (RAM).
How Much VRAM Do I Need?
It is recommended that you should have at least 2GB of VRAM if you are gaming on a 1080p monitor, and 4GB if you are gaming on a 1440p monitor. However, 8GB is the ideal amount for both resolutions, as it will future-proof your system for upcoming games.
Now that we know what Vram actually is and why it matters, let us see how to increase dedicated Vram in Windows 10.
There are three ways to do this:
1) Via The Nvidia Control Panel:
This is the most popular way to allocate more vram to games, as Nvidia graphics cards come with built-in tools for doing just that, which can be accessed via the Nvidia Control Panel. To do this follow these simple steps:
1) Step 1 : Visit here to download the latest version of Nvidia control panel for your graphics card (Nvidia graphics card is preferable).
2) Step 2 : After downloading install it. You will see “Nvidia Control Panel” in your start menu.
3) Step 3 : Go to Manage 3D settings, and select “Program settings”.
4) Step 4 : Select “Add”, and navigate to the game executable so that it adds it automatically, or you can browse manually if you’ve placed them elsewhere. For me I selected “League of Legends.exe”. Do not forget to tick the “Enable application-controlled acceleration” box.
5) Step 5: You can now increase the dedicated Vram for that game by going to “Power Management Mode” and selecting “Prefer maximum performance”. This will allow your graphics card to use all of the available vram when running that game, which in turn will give you a smoother gaming experience.
2) Via The AMD Radeon Settings:
Just like Nvidia, AMD also provides tools for increasing dedicated Vram for games in their control panel, which is known as “AMD Radeon Settings”. To do this, follow these simple steps:
1) Step 1 : Download the latest version of AMD Radeon Settings from here.
2) Step 2 : Install it, and you will see “AMD Radeon Settings” in your start menu.
3) Step 3 : Click on it, and go to “Gaming”.
4) Step 4: In the Gaming tab, go to “Add” and select the game executable.
5) Step 5: You can now increase the dedicated Vram for that game by going to “Graphics Options” and selecting “Increase Dedicated Video Memory”. This will allow your graphics card to use all of the available vram when running that game.
3) Via The Microsoft Store:
If you don’t want to or don’t know how to edit the registry or change any settings in your graphics card, there is an easier way to increase dedicated Vram for games in Windows 10. All you need to do is purchase and install a game from the Microsoft store that comes with its own built-in Vram booster. For example, Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 come with this feature. So, if you are facing any issues with low Vram while gaming, try installing one of these games and see if it helps.
That’s all folks! I hope this article was helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop a comment below and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.